Saturday, July 7, 2012

Day 1: A busy day full of new things :)

Well, after getting up at 2:30 in the morning I made it safe and sound to Costa Rica! :) Arrived here at about 2:30 pm so I got some time to get to know my host mom and one of my roommates! I love it here so far! It's gorgeous with the mountains surrounding the whole city. Then to add to that, I get to listen to the sounds of crickets and birds in my room. They don't use air conditioning at this time of the year--instead they are able to leave the windows open. It feels amazing :)
We went to the supermarket today after Emily (one of my roommates) and I unpacked. The supermarket is not very different at all then ones in Minnesota, except for the parking! The parking for it is inside--you drive in and then there's about 8 parking spots in a little loop and you park there and walk right into the market--the doors are just kept open during the day! They do have a lot of sea food and cheese in the market! Lots of fish. Also, they have a HUGE fresh fruit and veggies area! However, some of the fruit can be very spendy! Our host mom, Kathleen, showed us that just one little bin of cherries was 20 U.S. dollars! Uff da! :) Anyway, it was a fun excursion to the supermarket and Kathleen showed us how to get there if we needed/wanted to.
 Tonight I had my first homemade Costa Rican food! Kathleen made it and it was amazing! Homemade rice dish and salsa. She didn't have a name for the rice dish cause she said she just threw a bunch of stuff in it...so no fancy Spanish name but it was delicious! Also, they drink tea with all the meals! Except they offer coffee for breakfast. That is a change for me since I have milk with every meal. However, I'm not complaining because the tea is very good! :) I think I'll have to try their coffee, too, since they're known for it! :)
Well, I'm tired from a busy day full of new things! So buenos noches! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment